Skip to main content

20th Day of Lent: Seeing God's Heart of Mercy: God's Mercy is Greater than Any of Your Mistakes

We all know to some breadth and depth that we possess impulses for selfishness that correspond with our sin nature.

"We all fall short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23).  

Perhaps this is why extending mercy is so hard for us to do....because we often don't accept God's mercy for ourselves first.

  Because mercy is holding back what someone DOES deserve.

And what happens when we believe that our OWN mistakes deserve judgment, and are not worthy of mercy?


It is in slow thinking, the SLOWING DOWN of dialogue with God through prayer, reflection WITH God, and revelation FROM Him, that we can recognize how and where we may be sabotaging our own calling by failing to receive God's mercy....

not feeling worthy of it....because we are allowing sin and poor choices to define us, rather than allowing God to conform us through them.


In other words, we don't believe that God's mercy is greater than Any/All of our Biggest Mistakes.....we don't feel that we are worthy of receiving His mercy until we get all of our " life " together....

and consequently because we are not allowing the inflow of God's mercy to wash over us, we don't let it flow out to others.  


Paul, the major author of the New Testament, was in a constant posture of awe at the mercy of God.

Why?

Because He was  a man who persecuted and killed people who followed Jesus' teachings. 

He deserved God's judgment.  

Instead he received God's mercy.

He came to understand profoundly that God will never define you by your mistakes:  

"But one thing I do:  Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead...Phil. 3:13.  

He understood that:  

"Hidden in every mistake is a portal of possibility. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me...Phil 3:14.


Mistakes are never a prison; they're a pathway to what's next. 

 

 God out-mercies the greatest of your mistakes. 

The prodigal son is never defined by his time away from the father. 


"Hell wants to chain you but heaven wants to free you. 

God is not going to hold you hostage to your mistakes. 

God says, "Move on!" 

God uses mistakes to move us on. 

God comes with a still, small gentle voice and gives great mercy." Jentezen Franklin 

Now. 

Always.

Not if.

Not when.

Now.

Always.

For when you are open to receive this gift of mercy from the Father for your mistakes, understanding its purpose to free you and live into its freedom, you will then be freed to be able to extend mercy to others-


Are you being chained to a past mistake?


Here is God's Love Letter and prayer for you today. 

My Beloved Daughter:

I am extending my mercy to you today, but you must learn to forgive yourself!  I do not want you to miss out on the amazing things that I have in store for you because you continue to hold on to the mistakes of your past.  

My mercy is intended to free you, not to confine or define you. 


I throw your sins into the depths of the sea to remember them no more: "I will again have compassion on you; I will tread your sins underfoot and hurl all your iniquities into the depth of the sea." (Micah 7:19). 

Don't forget that I am all-knowing and I would never constantly bring up your sins before you, then why would you?


Do not listen to the "accuser of the brethren" (Rev 12:10).  He will use your insecurities with your relationship with me to make you feel as if I am holding things over your head.

  I do not do that to my children.


 You must choose NOT to embrace the deception of the enemy that is telling you to constantly relive your mistakes over and over again.


Receive MY mercy! "For I did not send My son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."(John 3:17) 

 Choose to embrace my mercy today. 

 It's always here for you every day.

Now.

Always.

Not If.

Not When.  

Not because you have your act together, but because I want you to be my vessel of mercy to carry with you wherever you go- 

For you, and for all the rest of my creation.  

With Agape Love and so much faith in YOU, 

Abba Father ❤️🌅💐


From Lyn Woodruff, The River Prayer Teams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The River Hopes: Let's Get this Party Started.

Unstuck. It’s been almost three years. My husband and I came back from living and serving overseas in the fall of 2014. It was supposed to be only a year, but God had other plans as our parents health declined. Jim figured out how to make continued ministry to pastors in Asia work…commuting.  I’ve been finding ways to be useful, and knowing the Lord has things to teach me in transition. But, last December a handful of  The River  women prayed after church about how we could pitch in with the Refugee crisis... and... something started brewing: "The River Hopes" In January Pastor Todd invited some folks together to talk about our direction regarding outreach as a church. We know  the church is individual believers in community , and not just those few who happened to make it to an evening meeting, so... The consensus was that we should have a better grasp of  what we’re already doing  before we decide where we should concentrate moving forward. I had this g

Interview: Julie Virjee, Yambi Rwanda

The River Hopes: Yambi Rwanda Transcribed Interview with Julie Virjee May 1, 2017 K!: I’m sitting here in Rolling Hills Estates in the home office with Julie Virjee. I’m asking her this morning to tell me about her journey with Rwanda. I want to hear your journey from the first part. What was your life before you got this vision for Rwanda? JV: Life in this household has always been pretty crazy with three boys, and large dogs, and a very busy husband --who worked tremendously long hours. I was busy accomplishing things that I thought needed accomplishing: working in the kids’ schools, being part of “Art at your Fingertips.” I was a PTA president in the kids’ schools for 10 years, on the Peninsula Education Foundation Board… anything to further education. I definitely wanted to make life better and stronger academically for the kids in the PV school district. So, once that chapter of my life closed (which was amazing, but I was also happy to see it close

Reboot / Simplicity

As we officially enter into Spring this week, we invite you to try on the Spiritual Discipline of Simplicity this week.  Remember that term "Spring cleaning?"   It used to be a real rhythm of housekeeping- that once a year, in the spring, you would take inventory and wash and clean the things in your house that tend to get overlooked on a regular basis, and throw out or donate unused/unnecessary items.   It was tedious mundane work, but left you with a feeling of renewed energy and accomplishment to get your house in order. God's character is perfect order; He is not a God of confusion.   Made in His image and likeness, He desires our souls to be orderly too (not PERFECT, but ordered in our thoughts, emotions and behavior to reflect Him).   As Todd taught yesterday (if you didn't hear his incredible sermon, go and listen to it on the River website; and even if you did-it is worth hearing again)-  What, and where in our lives do we need a re-boot, a reset...a spring cl